Sunday 13 April 2014

Development of Independent Magazine

This is the image of our protagonist in our trailer 'Dreamz in the Hood' that I have selected to be used as the cover of our independent film magazine. As it stands the image is pretty basic, it was constructing in a Greenway hence the trees in the background and we don't feel as though it is a good representation of a independent film magazine therefore would need a lot of manipulation to fulfill what we aim to create which I will do in Photoshop. 

After opening the image into Photoshop I began manipulating. I went to Image then clicked "desaturate". This turns the the coloured image into a black and white image which was necessary for the effect I planned on using. I then moved the contrast tool to "76" and the brightness tool to "-51" as I wanted the image to be clear and not too over powered by light as more effects were to be further added.

Next, I added my chosen effect onto the desaturated image. I went to "Filter", "Sketch" and then chose the "Note Paper" filter. I then had to further adjust the "Image Balance" which I moved to '7', the "Graininess" which I adjusted to '3' and the "Relief" which i adjusted to '3' also. This was all chosen down to preference as although I wanted the effect to be prominent, I also wanted the image to remain detectable.

To further develop this effect, I went to "Image", "Adjustments" and then clicked on the "Hue and Saturation" tool. I then clicked "colorize" which would allow me to adapt the colour of my image. I had chosen a blue shade which was hue '238' and then adjusted the saturation to '56' and the lightness to '0' which was a good median and didn't deduct from the image.

I wanted to further adapt this image and create a more artistic effect on the image. I did this by going to "filter", then "filter gallery". I selected the "ink outlines" filter which created a more defined image. I moved the "stroke length" to '4', "Dark Intensity" to '20' and "Light Intensity" to '10' so the light would balance the darker elements on the image as seen above.























I then decided to add other external features onto the front cover of the Independent Film Magazine. This
included a "barcode" which I added in a circle which I created using the "Elipse Tool". I used this to also add the title of the film magazine which was influenced by the 'Little White Lies' magazine. I also added the price of the magazine which is a convention of any magazine as consumers need to be made aware of how much they have to pay for the product.


Lastly, I focused on the title 'Dreamz in the Hood'. I wanted the title to replicate the one seen on the actual 'Dreamz in the Hood' poster. This way my audience will be able to identify with our film through the magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.